Sunday, April 26, 2009

Woo hoo! Roll on winter!

After what can be officially called 'The Summer Straight From Hell', the weather has finally lurched into winteriness. We are still in Autumn here in the southern hemisphere, but there is a crap load of snow at the resorts, and it didn't get above 14 deg C here yesterday. And seeing as I have an ear infection which is making me miserable I took the opportunity to curl up on the couch and knit away the weekend.

I did my typical 'yarn dance'.
I have about 1300 yards (1200m) of both a lipstick red wool blend, and a chocolate brown acrylic (which is lovely to use, not sticky, but a bit splitty)- both of which have been ceaselessly nagging me to turn into something pretty. I really wanted to make this lovely top, and in my mind I thought the brown would be good for that. So I swatched. All good. Started the back, got about an inch in, hated it, frogged it. Forgot all about pretty top.

Spoke severely to chocolate yarn. Decided that owing to it's acrylic lightness (weight-wise) something crocheted might be good. Got excited about this little darling (sorry, couldn't find a non-rav link without significantly more coffee than I have in me), and even more so when I realized I could call it the Chocolate Cupcake. How could I not make it!!!! Swatched. Gauge close enough. Happily hooked along , finished decreasing to the waist. Had to get up to make a cup of tea, and thought 'what the hell, I'll just measure it against a t-shirt that fits well'. Disaster. Apparently the Gauge Fairies had decided to have a party and were currently pissing themselves laughing at how they had fooled me. Too damn small. Curse you, Gauge Fairies. Frogged in disgust.

Having no more inclination to look at the chocolate brown yarn (and, indeed, resisting the temptation to set it alight) my attention was drawn to the lipstick red woolblend. Hmmmm. Maybe it would look good as the original Scarlet Woman Sleeveless Tank. I mean, it's the same colour as the pattern picture. Why not?

Swatched. All good. Started pattern. Nice twisted rib stitch, very soothing. Got past the first ball of yarn, still loved it . I think...maybe...just maybe...success!!!!!

So this is what I'm currently making.
In exactly the same colour.
You'd think it would have been an obvious choice from the beginning, wouldn't you?

ps- the chocolate brown yarn was consigned to the back of the cupboard in disgrace, but about half an hour ago a pm from a lovely Raveller (hi auntpatt!) gave me an idea about what to do with it. Pics tomorrow if it works.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I broke down and got a g-mail account just so I could leave a comment! Well, that's the yarn fairies for you. I see they have come to play with you for awhile, they have been harassing me for a few weeks now. Seems like everything I have put to hooks lately having been giving me fits. Hmm, maybe I can get some finished now!

Melinda said...

Whoo hoo! I was rooting for the lipstick red yarn all along! I have some sympathy for the chocolate brown yarn but consequences must be abided, when the yarn faires speak. And, as patt noted, when they're picking on you, they're giving the rest of us a break (just finishing up repeat number 9!!) It's beautiful and I can't wait to see the pictures, hon.