Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Best Laid Plans.....

Today the kid had an appointment at the Childrens Hospital. Nothing special- just his yearly neuropsych assessment. No invasive surgery, no vile medications, no prodding or poking- just a nice lady in a warm office asking him questions. We've been here before. It's not a big deal. Time consuming but not painful, is what I'm saying.

The downside is that we had to be up by 7am, and showered, dressed and out of the door by 8am, because its a long drive and an early appointment. So I get myself showered and partially dressed, drag an unwilling teenager out of bed and into the shower, and just as I'm standing in front of the closet trying to decide what to wear, my mobile goes. It's the lady from the hospital saying she has to cancel because she just got back from England yesterday and she's not feeling very well and she needs to go get tested for SWINE FLU!!!!

Even the Kid, who is not at an age where graciousness comes naturally, especially at 7.30am, admitted that this was an excellent excuse.

So, a day has appeared that was otherwise going to be filled with hanging around a children's hospital eating pastries and drinking coffee and wishing I was elsewhere. Hey- now I get to be elsewhere! It feels like a little holiday! I know, I know, my life is just one chaotic, exciting whirl (NOT).

So seeing as the Kid has now gone back to bed and wont be wanting the computer for a while, I thought put up a couple of photos of the use I put the chocolate brown yarn to (idea via auntpatt).
Fan Edged Armwarmers
Fan Edged Armwarmers

I like 'em!
I got the pattern here, and I admit, I have tried them before and failed miserably.
BHSYRB mitts (big hook, squooshy yarn, retro button)
They got ripped and remade into something else. The difference this time was that
a) I used a single crochet foundation stitch rather than a chain to start them off- so much better. The interwebs is crawling with explanation, tutorials and videos of this technique. It is stretchy and neat and looks so much better. It may seem a little tricksy at first, but I urge you to persist. It's really worth it. (BTW, there was no good reason I didn't use this technique the first time I tried these mitts. Momentary madness probably)
b) Rather than a worsted weight yarn, I used a dk (8ply) weight.
c) Rather than a H hook (5mm) I used a G (4mm) hook.
Much better!

I might make the matching hat, now. Will post pics if its not too ugly.

ps- How scary is this swine flu thing? It hasn't got to Australia yet, as far as we know, but I'm getting a little nervous, especially as I am the proud owner of a child with a truckload of medical issues. Here's hoping it comes under some sort of control soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Those turned out excellent. And they look like they fit really well. Now I'm enthused about making them. DK? Would a thinner WW yarn like simply soft work?
I've wanted to try the chainless foundation, but just haven't settled down and read the instructions. Didn't realize it would be stretchy. Now I'm even more interested.